Are you vegan? Don’t push your baby too into that framework. Dairy is essential for children and vegan-ism or not, you should spare your babies and children the onslaught of all these. Except in rare cases wherein the babies and children show symptoms of not being able to accept the milk. While there are alternatives available in the market, breast milk and regular dairy intake has its own value.
“Milk is an important part of a child’s diet due to its nutrient content to help develop healthy bones, regulate blood pressure and maintain a healthy weight,” says Otoniel Santiago, a clinical dietitian with Get Up & Go by Children’s Health℠. “Many plant-based milks do not match dairy’s essential nutrients so it’s important for parents to understand their options.”
- The colostrum is the first feed that the baby gets. You can’t undermine the importance of breast milk and colostrum to deny the impact of milk for babies
- Indian grandmothers insist on giving cow’s milk to the newborns when mothers have difficulty in lactation. This is not advisable for the babies
- Milk helps in the growth of the babies and infants and gives them a host of goodness
- Nutritive value of milk cannot be ignored so if your baby is happy with milk intake, allow them to have it as much as they can
- If your child is unable to be exposed to the sun, giving them cow’s milk can minimize the development of rickets that occurs due to lack of Vitamin D
- High quality of protein is the biggest benefit from the other alternatives like soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk or any other plant-based milk
- The doctors have advised that children below 5 years must not indulge in plant-based milk. If there are dietary restrictions, cow’s milk for babies 12 months or older is advised.
- Vitamin A improves the immune system of the babies
- Calcium, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Phosphorous, Vitamin B2 and Vitamin B3 are the additional benefits of milk
- While introducing solids, babies can also benefit from having butter and little bits of cheese.
Taking all these aspects into consideration in consultation with your baby’s pediatrician also helps give the best dairy benefits to your baby. Don’t let your child be part of the fad diets and vegan food concepts. Let them have a wholesome advantage.