“I found in my research that the biggest reason people aren’t more self-compassionate is that they are afraid they’ll become self-indulgent. They believe self-criticism is what keeps them in line. Most people have gotten it wrong because our culture says being hard on yourself is the way to be.”
Indian culture puts a premium on others than one’s own self and advocates selfless living. However, the truth is that loving others begins from loving oneself and it definitely starts young! So childhood is the right time to begin the journey towards self care and becoming independent.
Kids need to indulge in self care as much as babies need it. It helps the kids to become more sensitive and tuned into their own physical and emotional needs. This also helps them to take care of themselves as adults thereby making them increasingly independent. It has been researched that kids who are into self care and independence have less stress, better relationships and are able to keep wellness in check.
Here are some of the ways you can help kids develop their self care routine:
- Establish their time table which helps them indulge in all kinds of activities
- Get the kids oriented into screen time so that they are not addicted to a single thing
- Talk to children whenever you feel that they might experience anxiety
- Develop play time in ways that they learn to communicate with you and ask questions
- Engage them into home chores to establish responsible behavior
- Encourage them to journal their thoughts and feelings
- Community help needs to be emphasized and giving help to others around the home can be a good start
- Feeling of self esteem can be developed in them through tasks and actions
- Giving the child to spend time alone is important. Privacy is something every human being craves for
- Encourage the child for the actions
- Do not indulge in body shaming. It takes years to bring it out of the system and leads to mental health crisis in later years
- Encourage them to develop skills. This will help them in future
- Ensure that they take care of themselves physically. Seasonal body care is important. Applying creams, lotions, talc powder and using bath and body care products is essential for all seasons. Also the kids must know which product is ideal for which season. This gives them independence to indulge in liking their body and appreciating it through care.
- Get them to study and play in equal measure. Both are important.
- Healthy foods and eating habits can be explained and encouraged.
With these self care essentials we do hope that your child will not only learn to be independent but also love themselves. The long term outcome is that they will appreciate others too.