Winter is the time when parents think of the nutritious balance and heat-restorative properties of food so that the kids have adequate energy and also feel warmth. In our bid to bring you more assurance that kids will enjoy these… dig into these recipes!
Come winter and we all go nuts over nuts! Almond or Badam Halwa is the top thing in every grandmother and mother’s mind!
- Badam/almonds – 1 cup
- Milk- 3/4 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Homemade Ghee – 1/4 cup
- Saffron – 3 to 4 strands
- Cardamom – 1
- Measure and Soak almonds in water for 4 hours. Then peel the skin and keep it ready.
- In a big mixie jar, take peeled almonds, sugar, saffron and cardamom. Finally add milk to it. Grind everything to a coarse paste. Set aside. In a thick bottomed pan, add 2 tbsp of ghee and melt it.
- Add the ground coarse almonds paste. Keep stirring it continuously.
- Now the halwa starts to liquidize. Keep stirring it and add the remaining 2 tbsp of ghee little by little.
- When the halwa forms a whole mass and doesn’t stick to the pan, it’s done. Switch off the flame once done. You can also check the halwa consistency as below: take a tiny portion of halwa,cool it down a bit, and form a ball. The ball should be soft neither sticky nor wet. That is the correct consistency for badam halwa.
Worried about the bananas giving kids cold? There are other ways to work around the cool quotient of bananas into something all kids will love!
- 2 cups buckwheat flour you could also use wholemeal flour available in the health food aisle
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup natural or Greek style low fat yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds optional
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- Olive oil or butter for greasing the muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and stir well
- In a smaller bowl, mix eggs, honey, olive oil, yoghurt and vanilla
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well
- Add mashed banana and berries and gently fold through (it’s ok if the mixture is a little lumpy)
- Use olive oil or butter to grease the cups of a muffin tray
- Spoon mixture into the prepared tray
- Place in the oven and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes
- Test that they are fully cooked by gently inserting a skewer into one of the muffins before removing from the oven
Cheese makes kids smile (unless the kid can’t digest milk or milk based products) and it is a great comfort food apart from being very simple to make.
- Boil macaroni according to package instructions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat and whisk in the flour.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream/milk in splashes, stirring continuously.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Add hot sauce and seasonings.
- You can add vegetables like peas, carrots, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, onions (caramelised or green)
- You can also add cooked little chunks of chicken or meat.
For more recipes, check: